Sunday, July 15, 2012

That Time of the Year

Greetings, All:

Well, it's that time of the year, again.  It seems that it's coming around sooner and sooner and that means birthdays are getting closer and closer, too.

Everyone anxiously awaits the arrival of Christmas, especially my little great grandchildren.  They're so excited about Santa Claus.  Isn't it a shame that they think of Santa before they think of that fact that we're celebrating Jesus' birthday?

I was thinking the other day about things we all should be thankful for.  Of course, Jesus is the first thing.  After Him comes the family, husband, children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, etc.  Next, comes the arts.  My favorite is music.  What would the world be like without beautiful music? When I sit here in my living room and listen to some of the music I've downloaded on my computer, I just marvel at the mystery that's music.  How in the world did someone create written music?  I am a musician so I know how long it takes one to learn to read music, and to understand music theory.

 I took piano lessons for seven years when I was growing up and I've thanked my parents many times for the sacrifices they made so that I could learn how to play the piano.  I always loved the piano, and when the preacher at my church offered an upright piano to the first person that called, I was thrilled.  Of course, I got the piano and started taking lessons.  I wouldn't take anything for my ability to play the piano.  I think it's the most beautiful instrument, with the violin being a close second.  Through the years I taught myself to play by ear as well and this has been a great source of joy and comfort to me as well.  I can play almost anything that I hear, with a little practice.

The next thing I'm thankful for is nature.  Nature certainly has the ability to soothe and calm and feed ones soul.  I marvel at the change of seasons here in the Mid Atlantic region.  I don't think I could live in a climate that never changed, like Florida.  I love spring, summer, winter and fall.  I think fall is my favorite season.  I like cooler weather and love to watch the turning of the leaves.  And, in the winter, trees have a beauty all their own without their leaves.  Then one can really see the shape of the tree and their limbs.

Of course, spring is a favorite of most everyone.  It's so nice to experiece warm breezes, watching the grass turn from brown to green, seeing spring flowers starting to bloom, having a longer day when we "step up" to spring, starting the flower and vegetable gardens.

Summertime is probably everyones absolute favorite time of year.  Being able to go barefoot in the grass, going swimming, picnics, riding bikes, cooking on the grill, vacations.  I could go on and on.

Another thing I'm very thankful for is animals.  I love animals and have had quite a few around in my lifetime.  We've had many types of dogs, a cat, an African Pygmy Hedgehog, a gerbil, a hermit crab and maybe some more that I can't think of right now.  My favorite animal is dogs.  They're so wonderful and loyal.  We've had hunting dogs, a German Shorthaired Pointer, labrador, feist, rat terrier, beagle, springer spaniel, boykin spaniel and a Yorkshire terrier.  Of all the dogs we've had, the Yorkshire terrier was the worst.  This dog would wee on anything, anywhere.  We finally had to give him away.

Be blessed, Nana

No comments:

Post a Comment